Saturday, August 27, 2011

let's love ourselves, shall we?

a few months ago I got a card in the mail. it was a thank you note from my friend for having gone to her bridal shower. I noticed that there wasn't a return address - only my name and address written in the center of the envelope. I found myself quickly admiring the handwriting of the person who wrote my name and address down. it seemed so perfectly imperfect - some letters curvy, some straighter, all flowing together beautifully in an almost-cursive-but-not-quite way. I was so in love with this handwriting and was envious of the girl who had it, and was wondering who it belonged to!

and then, remembering that we wrote our own names and addresses down on envelopes at the bridal shower, I realized it was my handwriting.

and I immediately saw flaws.

suddenly the perfectly imperfect handwriting was just imperfect. my eye was led to all the spots where the pen didn't flow perfectly smoothly or where my letters connected in a weird way. it was so crazy how many flaws I noticed the second I realized it belonged to me.

why do I do this? It's so sad, but so true, and so ME. I see so much good in other people and would never pick out their tiny tiny TINIEST of flaws, but I do it all the time to myself. it's just insane how much of a lesson that little envelope taught me. we need to give ourselves more credit! we need to treat ourselves as good as we treat others! stop making fun of yourself, stop criticizing yourself, stop seeing your flaws. you are AWESOME and you deserve to feel good about it!! if you're willing to give others a chance or the benefit of the doubt - try giving it to yourself for once.

this is you, standing tall and being awesome in the midst of other awesome people! YEAH!

(...ever since I took this picture I've wanted to use it for some motivational self-esteem/self-worth talk haha. ;))

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...