Sunday, December 25, 2011

"It's always winter, but never Christmas..."

-from the relient k christmas CD.

I love having a blog because when I'm contemplating whether or not to write a certain facebook status...

I can just come write it on my blog!

sometimes I get weirdly emotional and write statuses I later wish I hadn't... because they're just so in whatever mood I'm in at the moment.

but blogging them instead? psshhh. no regrets. this is my blog. my journal. we safe here. :)

I was just thinking about how it always amazes me how fast christmas goes by. it's here.. and then it's gone. and I hate to admit it but each year it's less magical and feels less like christmas. it makes me really sad. and every christmas night I feel like I sit in regret that I didn't spend more time focusing on Christ. or even more time connecting with my family because that's what He would want me to do. we did have some fun today though watching old home videos and laughing so hard we couldn't breathe. but I feel like christmas will never be as magical again as it was when I was little.. and it's hard for me to accept that. but I'm learning that it requires 100% true genuine effort to make things special like you want them to be. if no one plans the birthday party, it's not going to happen. if no one says "let's have family prayer tonight," it's never going to happen. good families require work (I'm a family studies major.. that's all I learn!), making holidays special requires work, and faith requires work. and after that work you get what only seems natural to everyone else, but YOU know how much work it required. I feel like this is my "coming into adulthood" speech, haha. but I'm realizing that I'm no longer just the consumer of magic, I have to be the producer of it too. (another thing we learn in my major... consumer vs. contributor mentality). so now, before I go to bed, I'm going to put forth a little effort, read the christmas story from my bible, and hope to feel a little bit of that TRUE christmas spirit before it's over. <3




check out some more christmasy photos on my photography blog.

2 comments:

Sadie Crookston said...

Oh Jennie, this is perfect. I was just thinking today how it's so pointless to put up Christmas decorations. They take so long and they are only really there for one day, ya know? I'm they're there for like a month, but you know what I mean. And then I was like "Sadie no!! You have to put forth effort or it will never be anything special!!" I feel like that all the time lately.

Sadie Crookston said...

*I mean they're there...

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...