Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Baby Journal

I often like to read through old journal entries, especially funny childhood ones. The messy kid hand-writing adds just as much to the enjoyment. But a few days ago I was reading journal entries that my parents wrote about me when I was a newborn. Here are just a few favorites I came across (I was born Nov. '90 for context).

May 16, 1991 (Mom)

"Since she was newborn Jennie has rolled her eyes when she first starts on a bottle - like - 'Oh that tastes so good!'"

(Basically this just made me laugh really hard, because it's so me.)

"Jen is so cute! I love buying clothes for her. I have to get 24 month size for them to fit her. She has pretty chunky legs & bottom."

(Yeeeaaaahhhhh... hahaha.)

October 16, 1991 (Mom)

"Jen is so sweet. Lately she's been playing happily in her crib in the A.M. for hours!"

(Basically just thought that was weird. What would a baby do for hours in a crib by herself?? haha.)

May 3, 1992 (Mom)

"She plays cute eye games. She'll look at you & lower her eyes or turn away & slowly look back at you in the corner of her eye. She charms people that way. Then she shakes her curly head."

(Let's face it. I just love learning that I was cute as a baby and that my entire adolescent life wasn't awkward. It's a real comfort.)

July 7, 1991 (Mom)

"Right now she's on the floor playing with my thong."

(Had a heart attack until I remembered that my parents refer to flip-flops as thongs. CRISIS AVERTED!)

"She squawks a lot."

(..I don't know what to say about that.)

And then from the one entry in my entire baby journal from my dad haha, on April 28, 1996 (Better late than never! And we'll disregard the fact that at one point he spelled my name with a "y"...)

"Dancing, skipping, singing, tickling, laughing, crying, playing are all Jennie. I love you Jennie. I can't wait for a Daddy Daughter date! You are only 5 now but not for long."

(Okay, that last line was killer! Tug on my heart strings anyone?!)


I have decided that I have to keep a journal for my kids!! Even if I have to type it all because I'm way too impatient to write stuff down anymore. But it's so cool reading back on these things, especially since I'm a Family Studies major and I've taken so many classes on child development.. it's just cool. Hooray for baby journals!

And just to give my dad some more credit... he's awesome. And he and I talked on the couch last night and he told me a lot of things about his life and his past and I just love him for all the hard things he's been through. There's something adorable about dads opening up to you when they're as non-open-uppy as mine. He's the best, and I'm pretty stinkin' grateful to be in this family!

3 comments:

Sadie Crookston said...

Shut up this was the best thing ever!! CRISIS AVERTED! lolololol I died.

Kamie said...

Laughed so hard at the "thong" entry :) You were an amazingly beautiful baby and toddler! I remember :) I have journals that I kept about Darian and Dalton and I'm so glad I have them. So fun to take a look back. Love you.

Kamala said...

I am seriously silent laughing right now. I meeaaean, SHUTTHEFRONTDOOR.

All of the entries were hilarious.

The eye entry: pretty sure you still do that... bahahahahahahaha

And the thong entry: I too had a mini heart attack. It's a good thing you put that little disclaimer in there. YIKES.

And the entry about buying you 24 month clothes. hahahahahaha.

I love how honest you are. I mean, really.

Props, yo.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...