Saturday, March 2, 2013

Jordan Part 2: PETRA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh happiness!

Can I just say.. I had no clue why Petra was so cool and everyone was so jealous I got to go there. Like, I really didn't know what it was. Or how huge it was. Or how incredible it was. But now I do. The end. Enjoy the largest blog post I will probably ever post... the internet is being magical. 

Our hotel from the night before!
As you first walk into Petra.. you see cool random little things like this on the left. You freak out at how cool they are!!! But you have NO IDEA HOW MUCH COOLER OTHER THINGS ARE until later. :)
Walkin' through the canyon. Um this picture is kinda crappy but I'm too lazy to pick a different one! We walked for a good 20 minutes.
Please just trust me when I say it is amazing that Ashley and I made it through this day in Toms.
Best. Picture. Ever. Hahahaha.
Iman.. our awesome tour guide for the entire Jordan trip!
Still walking through the pretty red rock canyon.

AND THEN.

Out of no where, Iman tells us to get in single file lines, and look down.

We are not allowed to look up until he tells us to.

WE ALL KNOW WHAT'S COMING AND IT'S KILLING US.

Squeals abound as we walk forward for about 2 minutes.

And we may or may not begin to sing the Indian Jones theme song...







Finally.
We are allowed.
To look up.








!!!!!!!!!!!!

The treasury!!!! Maybe the coolest thing of my life. (Well, until I saw the Monastery... but we'll get to that later...)
Schade class!
Oh yeah and then I rode a camel! ;)
Ahh! It was so fun! We all did tiny 30 second rides in front of the Treasury for a small fee.

I'M SITTING. ON. A CAMEL.

I love this picture so much. I'm freaking out being this close to the camel, and the camel is doing a creepy awesome smile (which is why I am freaking out). So much win.
Well, it felt like we were really close... hahaha.
Matt dressed up as Indiana Jones. It was awesome. Um, ignore my most awkward pose in the world... 
Apparently it was blue shirt day! So we took a picture with the (fake) guards. :)
How better to capture awesome scenery than by taking a jumping picture?!
The layers in the rocks were sooo pretty.
Love. Just love.
I call this.. "Amphitheater. With a donkey."

I still don't know what this is but it's huge and we climbed up to it!
View from the top of the huge awesome thing! With Ashley and Tyler.

See guard.. take picture! (This guard was real. ;))
This is all that was inside the huge awesome thing. Pretty much everything in Petra is an empty room!

More prettiness.
And then.. WE HIKED!! For 45 minutes. Up 800 stairs. To the Monastery!! My Toms and I miraculously made it, and it was SO WORTH IT.
On the way up.


Are you ready?


Heeeere iiiit cooommmeesss!!!


.....



The Monastery!!!!!!!!! I know what you're thinking - it looks just like the Treasury. But believe me, it is a LOT bigger and so so so awesome.

Once again, the inside is just a big empty room.
With 2 of the roomies. :) Anne & Aubreigh!
Then we hiked up just a tiny bit more to the tallest view point! AWESOMENESS. I had "On Top of the World" by Imagine Dragons stuck in my head and it was kiiiind of perfect. Look how teeny (yet huge!) the Monastery is! Bahhhh.


Hiking back down. Indiana Jones picture perfection.
Next we had lunch, and then a few of us decided to pay a little extra to ride the camels back to the meeting spot (the Treasury). It was SOOO FUNNNNN!!! We rode them for like 15 minutes and it was magicalness.
Oh ya know, just my new favorite picture of my life. (I will have you know it is REALLY hard to take a selfie on a camel.)
Back at the Treasury! Me, Anne, & Mikkel.
Taking one last look at the Treasury... goodbye awesomeness..

On the way out of Petra we got to ride horses!
And then Anne & I bought camels to commemorate our incredible day. :)

I love you Petra!!! The end.

3 comments:

MH said...

G.O.R.G.E.O.U.S. pictures!!!!! Oh my goodness. It's probably a good thing I did a different study abroad because I would not stop taking pictures of all that incredibleness. Thanks so much for sharing; it's breathtaking even in photos!

Sadie Crookston said...

Your earrings :)

your awkward pose. Dying.

Anonymous said...

You are the star of my dream where I crawl thru the TV and explore the world! Keep stockpiling the memories. We are having an open house Sat. March 9th to celebrate Gma and Gpa's 88th and 86th birthdays! Love and miss you, Aunt Tamara.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...