Monday, November 28, 2011

never give up... never surrender!!!

when I first came to BYU, I planned on being a photography major.
(for various reasons, I changed my mind, and am now a family life major and love it!)
the photography major is not open to everyone - you have to be accepted through an application process.
first you take some pre-requisite visual art classes (that aren't photography classes), and then you can apply.
the application requires 8 photos that you feel represent your best work.
even though I never applied, I was always 99% positive that I would be accepted if I had. I knew I had a good eye and a natural talent for photography.
so just now.. I was thumbing through old photos (like I always do when I'm putting off my homework :)), and came across the 8 I was going to submit:









and you know what's funny? I'm 99% positive now that I would not have been accepted.
I don't mean this to be a depressing post... but more of a motivating and inspiring one.
even though I knew I had a natural talent, it wasn't fully developed yet (and still isn't.. and debatable never will be).
I would have been CRUSHED had I applied and not been accepted.
yet now, having taken a different route, I have grown and improved sooo much.
what if I had given up if I wasn't accepted? what if I had let it get to me?
it's so important to remember that if you have a knack for something... don't give up! keep pursuing it if you love doing it!
I read this post on a photography blog once that said the reason many photographers are so hard on themselves is because they have an amazing eye and know what looks good and they know their art doesn't look as good as that vision in their head yet.

BUT DON'T GIVE UP!!!

keep striving to reach that vision in your head. it will take practice and time.. but you have it in you! it's part of you! it's natural to you.
some days I look at my photography and just get so bummed about the fact that I'm not as good as my favorite photographers yet and I wonder if I'll ever get to their level.
but then I look back at pictures like the ones above and become so grateful for how far I've come and that I never gave up. it's taken me years and that's probably what it will take for you too... but take baby steps and know that it will be so worth it if it's what you love!

NOW GO BE AWESOME!!!

4 comments:

Kelsie said...

jenny this is so inspiring. i feel the same way sometimes about my sewing. i get really discouraged sometimes, but then i remember all that i have learned and all that i will learn and i feel a lot better about it :)

nancypaige said...

Jennie! This post is awesome and has summed up my day/past 2 years. I always doubted my cooking skills, but now that I’m developing it in a professional sense, it’s amazing to see the improvement. Thanks much!

Bronwyn Elise said...

I'm reserving you in advance to do my engagement/wedding photos.
I'm serious.

Also, thank you for this post. Perfect timing, Jennie :)

Renee said...

Jennie, I'm wandering through your blog in the wee hours (I have insomnia tonight) and had to take a moment to tell you again how completely, wonderfully talented you are. I know this is an old post. And I realize that you've moved on and probably don't care about it anymore, but I have to tell you that I think you WOULD have been accepted into the program. At LEAST 6 out of 8 of your pictures look like they were taken by a pro. Anyway, I had to take a minute to tell you that. I just can't get over how talented you are!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...